LYNN HAVEN, Fla. (WMBB) — A Lynn Haven family is okay after part of their home went up in flames Tuesday night.
It happened shortly before 7:00 p.m. at a home on the corner of New York Avenue and 12th Street.
Lynn Haven firefighters responded in putting out the massive blaze. Lynn Haven Police helped keep cars from driving through that area of 12th Street to make room for fire trucks and other emergency personnel vehicles.
News 13 spoke to Leslie Newmans who owns the home with her husband.
She said the fire started in the garage from a battery charger that exploded. She said chainsaw batteries were charging at the time.
She said once the garage area caught fire, it spread fast, and their two story addition in the back of the house also caught fire.
She said she and her family were finishing dinner when it happened. They didn’t even realize the garage area was on fire until they saw multiple cars pulling up outside their house, which led them to see what was going on.
Everyone made it out of the home safely, including the family dog.
She said they have lived there for 30 years and the home is actually a historical home, built in 1914.
The full extent of the damage to the home and property is unknown.
A fundraiser has been set up for the family on Facebook. Click here if you’re interested in helping.