PANAMA CITY, Fla. (WMBB) — This year brought tragedy and hope, a near-miss with a shark and one heck of a kick to the head.
News 13 has compiled the most viewed stories of the year on mypanhandle.com. An explosion at Eglin Air Force Base that happened on September 11 brought the most views overall to the website. Despite the timing, the explosion was not terrorism-related and officials said a contractor suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the blast.
Another major story on the website was video of a local MMA fighter knocking out his opponent with a 360 degree kick, which was the No. 1 play on SportsCenter. News 13 had the exclusive on the story and it went viral.
Another top story this year was a close encounter between a Panama City Beach swimmer and a hammerhead shark. The video brought in thousands of visitors who wanted to see the shark from a safer distance.
And a close enounter of a different kind also made the list. A mysterious flying object was spotted on a Ring Doorbell camera. This led to lots of guesses about the object. Check out the video and tell us what you think.
Here’s the full list of the most viewed local stories of 2021:
- Explosion at Eglin Air Force Base
- Body of 6-year-old found on Panama City Beach
- Woman who was pressured to marry her rapist speaks out
- Panama City MMA fighter gaining national attention from 360 knockout kick
- WATCH: Swimmer narrowly avoids encounter with Hammerhead shark in PCB
- Man dies after jumping from Panama City Beach hotel with parachute
- Panama City Beach council passes emergency order closing a portion of the beaches in April
- WATCH: Mysterious Flying Object caught on Ring Doorbell camera in Lynn Haven
- Jury finds Fountain murder suspect guilty in 13 minutes
- Active shooter drill mistaken for actual active shooter at Tyndall Air Force Base