Florida has been celebrating Arbor Day on the third Friday in January since 1886, making it one of the first Arbor Day celebrations in the country. Trees play a vital role in our lives! Everything from the air we breathe, food we eat, clean water and many jobs in our community can be attributed to trees.
In observance of Florida’s Arbor Day, the Florida Forest Service will be giving away 1-gallon potted trees including flowering dogwood, red maple, American holly, southern magnolia, fringetree, southern red oak, live oak, persimmon, tupil poplar and more.
The giveaways will take place on Friday January 19th at five different locations:
1) Bay Co. – 200 trees beginning in 8:00 am at Publix in Lynn Haven, 2310 S. Hwy 77.
2) Jackson Co. – 300 trees beginning at 9:00 am at Rivertown Community Church 4534 Lafayette Street in Marianna.
3) Washington Co. – beginning at 9:00 am at the Washington County Agriculture Center 1424 Jackson Ave. in Chipley.
4) Calhoun Co. – from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm in the Cash Saver parking lot in Blountstown.
5) Holmes Co. – 200+ trees from 8:00 am – 2:00 pm in the parking lot on East Pennsylvania Ave. and North Waukesha St. in Bonifay.
6) Walton Co.’s – 350+ trees beginning at 8:00 am Saturday January 27th at the annual Chautauqua Assembly.
There are limits on the number of trees you can receive, depending on the location. Some of the locations will have agricultural experts on-hand to answer questions about planting trees, tree health or other forestry related issues.