DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, Fla. (WMBB) — Firefighters from four departments put out a fire at the Piggly Wiggly in DeFuniak Springs Thursday morning.
First responders shut down Highway 90 between Highway 331 N and Shoemaker while they battled the blaze.
Fire officials say the store’s smoker overheated, causing flames that spread throughout the kitchen.
Firefighters had the flames under control within 20 minutes and most of the structure was saved. However, the heat and smoke damage made the building inoperable at this time, according to DeFuniak Springs Fire.
All employees and customers made it out of the building safely.
DeFuniak Springs Fire says the fire is not being investigated and has been turned over to property managers.