For the next three and a half weeks Pier Park is going to look and feel a little different. Starting Friday no traffic will be allowed on a portion of Pier Park Drive as the city tries to curb what they’re describing as “distasteful behavior.“
The city has shut down parts of Pier Park Drive in the past like during special events and even for a few weeks last year. This time, they said the loud music and rowdy behavior has gone too far.
“It’s nonstop all night, it’s yelling, all the locals know the scooter horns, stuff like that and people not paying attention to where they’re going when families or kids are trying to cross the road, it just gets out of hand,“ said Alex Fos who works at the Wyndham Destinations booth on Pier Park Drive.
In an effort to disperse the cruisers the city shut down the road between Front Beach Road and the roundabout by the SkyWheel.
“If we take them off the street, and they try to play loud and vulgar music on private property we can address those issues,“ said city manager Mario Gisbert.
Fos feels it’s now safer for families to walk around without the fear of reckless drivers and vulgar music.
“Putting the barriers up is a benefit to the business owners whether they choose to see it like that is up to them,“ said Fos.
“We want you to act during March and April the same way you would act in June and July, behave and have fun and enjoy our community,“ said mayor Mike Thomas.
The 24-hour closure took effect March 29 at midnight and will continue until April 22.