Marilyn, soup cans, wigs feature in Tate’s Andy Warhol show

Entertainment

CAPTION CORRECTS NAME OF ARTWORK A Tate representative poses for photographs next to the 1962 Andy Warhol piece“Marilyn Diptych”, during a media preview for the exhibition “Andy Warhol” at the Tate Modern gallery in London, Tuesday, March 10, 2020. The exhibition, which runs from March 12 to September 6, features over 100 works spanning the American artist’s career in the second half of the 20th century until his death in 1987. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham)

LONDON (AP) — Images of soup cans and Marilyn Monroe’s lips are on display in a new Andy Warhol show at London’s Tate Modern — alongside several of the artist’s wigs.

The exhibition includes more than 100 works by the pop-art icon, including Coke bottles, Campbell’s soup cans and celebrities including Dolly Parton, Debbie Harry and Monroe, whose mouth is the focus of the series “Marilyn’s Lips.”

It also features lesser-known works such as “Ladies and Gentlemen,” a series of 1970s paintings of New York drag queens and transgender performers.

Also on display are three of Warhol’s famous silver wigs. He had a collection of more than 100 hairpieces by the time he died in 1987, aged 58, after gallbladder surgery.

Tate Modern said Tuesday that the exhibition aims to show a more human side of Warhol, a tireless self-promoter who became one of the 20th century’s best-known artists. It said the show highlights Warhol’s private beliefs and background as a “shy, gay man from a religious, migrant, low-income household.”

“He is one of the most recognizable names in the late 20th century but, in today’s climate, it feels important to take a more human and more personal look at somebody who is a very familiar artist,” Tate Modern director Frances Morris said.

The exhibition opens Thursday and runs to Sept. 6.

Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Basketball Madness Contest Canceled

On March 12, 2020, the NCAA canceled its 2020 Men’s Basketball Tournament.  Consequently, and as provided for in the Station’s Basketball Madness Official Rules and due to circumstances beyond the control of the Station (and Nexstar Media Group, Inc.), both the national and local market Basketball Madness Bracket Challenge contests have been canceled. No new entries will be accepted and any previously submitted entries will be deleted within five (5) business days.