CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) – Mamadi Diakite made a short, go-ahead jumper with 37 seconds left and Jay Huff blocked Vernon Carey Jr. under the basket with 3.7 seconds left and Virginia ended a three-game home losing streak against No. 7 Duke with a 52-50 victory.
Huff led Virginia with 15 points, nine rebounds and 10 blocked shots, none bigger than when he rejected Carey’s attempt from in close with the Cavaliers leading 51-50.
Huff also ripped the ball away, was fouled and made one of two free throws at the other end.
Tre Jones tried an off-balance 3-pointer at the buzzer, but missed, allowing the surging Cavaliers to claim their sixth victory in a row and leap-frog the Blue Devils into third place in the ACC standings with a week left in the season.
Carey had 17 points and 10 rebounds for the Blue Devils.
(Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.)
- Gulf Coast men’s and women’s basketball teams deal with schedule changes
- Pounds of meth taken off the street in multi-agency investigation
- State legislators meet ahead of 2021 legislative session in Bay County
- Rams dominant over Braves in second half for Thursday night win
- Future of Hentz Park and its revitalization discussed at community charette