Six Injured on Popular Carnival Ride at Apalachicola Florida Seafood Festival

APALACHICOLA, Fla. - A popular carnival ride has been shut down at the Florida Seafood Festival in Apalachicola this weekend. Witnesses tell News 13 the ride came apart last night, injuring six people. Unfortunately this year, there have been several examples of how dangerous these carnivals rides can be.
Carnival rides can be fun for the whole family. But what was supposed to be a fun ride Friday night, turned into a nightmare.
"We heard a loud bang, and when we got off the ambulance was pulling up," said Harley Bailey a witness.
Witnesses at the Florida Seafood Festival say one of the seats on "The Sizzler" came apart while guests were aboard the ride. Livia Monod and Camille Davis were both on the ride when it happened.
"It all slowed down, and then did a huge bang, and then everything stopped," said Monod.
"Everyone was running in, people were trying to get out of their carts," said Davis.
Our ABC affiliate in Tallahassee WTXL confirmed that six people were involved  in the accident. Five received minor injuries while one was airlifted to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital. Festival organizers shut down The Sizzler immediately and closed the park closed for the rest of the night. 
"All the food gets inspected, all the rides are inspected. It's something that we take very important is our safety and security for the people that come to our festival," said John Solomon, President of the Volunteer Board of Directors.
Solomon said all of the rides at the park passed inspection prior to the festival opening. State and local officials also inspected every ride Saturday morning after the accident and approved the park to open.
With more than 32,000 people coming to Apalachicola for the festival, Solomon said safety of the guests is their number one focus. Most guests say although it was concerning, it wasn't enough to stop them from enjoying the annual event.
"I've still rode them today, but it does scare me because this could happen to anyone," said Bailey.
"I've only been on a couple today, but after it happened last night we didn't go on any more," said Davis.
Festival organizers are still trying to piece together what went wrong last night. They are still investigating. The festival is open Sunday from 1 to 10 p.m., and organizers say the other rides were inspected Saturday and are safe for guests to ride.

More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center